Fixing a Hot Spot

Temperatures in July and August here in Southeast Virginia will rise to the mid nineties and sometimes to one hundred degrees with very little rain.  There are a few spots in the garden that just burn up.  One is between the arbor and the vegetable garden.  I created an interesting checkerboard path several years ago in the area. I have planted a variety of spreading plants, but nothing can take the heat. By August everything burns up. 

Here's what it used to look like:

I tried creeping jenny in between the stones, but it burnt out by the end of the summer.



Here's how I fixed the problem:

I filled in the mulched areas of the checkboard with smaller stepping stones which are under $2 each at your big box hardware stores and then added pea gravel (another couple dollars) in between.  I also added hens and chicks, ice plant and sedum 'Angelina' in between some of the stones. 


Now let's wait and see how the summer goes!

Comments

Popular Posts