Coral bells

I'll admit, I'm behind the times on coral bells (heuchera)!  I tried a few out several years ago and I was not diligent with the rabbit and deer repellent on them.  They were gnawed down to nubs every few weeks the whole summer and I sort of, well, gave up.  I decided to give them a try again this year because I am trying to add interesting foliage in the garden.  A sea of green is just not cutting it any more and as the coral bell lovers know, there are so many colorful foliage options for this plant!  I have purchased three varieties this spring and my favorite is 'Caramel'.  It has done magnificently in the garden with morning light and dappled afternoon shade. Of course, we haven't hit the heat of the summer so the jury is still out.  I'll get back to you in the fall!

If you are looking to add foliage interest to your garden, I would suggest checking out the Fine Foliage blog.  The blog was created by the authors of several books on foliage and there are a plethora of tips on making your garden more interesting than just growing pretty flowers.
Heuchera 'Purple Palace'

Heuchera 'Melting Fire' with Spirea 'Double Play Pink'.  Look how the flowers on the spirea complement the heuchera's  foliage color.



My favorite! Heuchera 'Caramel' has new leaves that are a burgundy color and they become more golden as they age.

The underside of the leaves on 'Caramel' stay the burgundy tone of the new leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts