More on Color Combinations

Color is everywhere in my garden at this time of year.  A combination that I find enjoyable is the bee balm pictured above and below with the soft blue blooms of the Chaste Tree.  New this year in this area of the garden is the addition of the orange common daylily.  The daylily blooms seem to be looking up at the bee balm almost as though they were speaking to them.



           

Another combination that is new in my garden this year centers around the addition of Elephant Ears 'Illustrum'.  In the photo above 'Illustrum' is in a shady area under a maple tree.  Look how the green and chartreuse speckled Acuba to the right of 'Illustrum' and the chartruese colored Spirea 'Ogon' under the bird house pick up on the bright green veins of 'Illustrum'.  Interestingly enough, the same variety of Elephant Ears is in the photo to the right, but in a full sun environment.  The leaves are much darker, achieving almost a full black color.  This paired with the silvery white lambs ear makes for a shocking contrast.  I intentionally planted one of the Illustrum in the shade and one in full sun.  Before planting them I read that they tend to change color based on the light conditions that they are offered.  I enjoy both variations and color combination equally!
 

Shasta daisies get my garden though the summer adding a strong form and color for a long period of time.  It contrasts well with the deep purple of this Veronica.  The difference in shapes also work well together.  I am still waiting for the Veronica to fill in more in this area.  Once it does, the impact should be really beautiful.

I showcased this log turned into a planter in the spring when it was first planted.  I have never had such an easy planter! I have not had to dead head it and because of the consistent rain fall this year it has barely been introduced to a watering can.  The rain fall has neither caused mildew issues nor yellow/brown leaves.   The chartreuse green of Gold selaginella plays so well with the purple 'Catalina Midnight Blue' Torenia.  A Japanese Maple behind it also shares in the soothing color combination.


Comments

Popular Posts