Green Beans: It's What's for Lunch

I recently went out to the vegetable garden and noticed that I had some green beans that were ready to be picked.  Now, the thing with green beans and most garden vegetables is that you have to continue to harvest on a regular basis.  If you don't then the plant will be slow to produce more.  So, I really wanted to pick this handful of green beans because they were getting kind of big and they weren't going to taste as good if I waited much longer.  Okay, now what do I do with a handful of green beans?  Well, it was Saturday and I had a little time at lunch.  I decided to boil the green beans until they were tender. This took about ten minutes. Then I put some Italian salad dressing on them and added my first tomato of the season, a 'Sun Gold' cherry tomato.  I put the lot in the refrigerator and waited until it was cold.  Wow!  the flavor of the fresh beans and tomato was out of this world good and it was also super healthy.  You could make a bigger batch up on a Sunday and eat it for lunch or dinner during the week.  I'm thinking that some crumbled feta would also make a good edition to this cold green bean salad.  I have some hot banana peppers in the garden that are not quite ripe, but when they do get ripe, I'm going to add them to this recipe as well.

Comments

Popular Posts