Green Beans: It's What's for Dinner

This summer I am going to highlight the vegetables in my garden that I harvest and then how I plate them up.  I'm calling it "It's What's for Dinner".  Why?  Well, in past years, I had an abundance of a particular vegetable and having it cooked the same way a couple times a week gets dull on the palate.  I highlighted Japanese eggplant a few days ago and today will be green beans. 
 The row of green beans ('Blue Lake" bush variety from seed) that I planted at the beginning of May were ready for the first harvest today. Really, if you are new to vegetable gardening, it doesn't get any easier or cheaper than planting a row of green beans. You just need some space, about 8 feet, to have enough beans for a family of four to eat.  Pests are really not a nuisance with beans either and they are quick to grow from seed to harvest.  Mine grew from seed to harvest time in about six or seven weeks.  Compare that to a tomato and well, say no more.   If you haven't tried growing them, you really should.

I picked these when they were about the width of a pencil.  Now, how do I want to cook them?
I found a recipe that sounded good on All Recipes.  You can find it here.  I did change it a little bit because this recipe called for canned green beans.  If you are trying this recipe out with fresh green beans like me, I first boiled the beans (after I snapped off the ends and rinsed them) for a couple of minutes until they were tender.  Then I went by the recipe.  Critics in the family thought they were delicious (parmesan cheese goes a long way when added to vegetables!).

Comments

Popular Posts