April Garden Work

April in Williamsburg, Virginia....we have jumped from 55 degrees to 80 degrees within the past two weeks.  This is typical of Southeast Virginia in the Spring!  I love to garden and am sharing pictures and tips for others on this blog.  The birdhouse is a new edition to the garden this year.  I love how it looks with red camellias that are in bloom.  I have planted Spirea 'Ogon' in front of it.  In the background is a cherry blossom tree and azaleas in bloom.  The yellow flowering shrub is the tail end of bloom time for the forsythia.
Spring is a time to get a jump start on weeds before they spread and also time to put mulch down to help cut down on weeds and conserve water.  I have been doing plenty of weeding and mulching this past month!  The plants in this picture include Sedum 'Autumn Joy', various daylilies and iris and a butterfly bush that I cut back last month.  The yellow flowers are pansies.  I like to add pots of flowers to my perennial garden in the early spring to brighten it up before things really start to pop.
This is an area that I always have trouble with.  I can't seem to get the color combination right.  Any way, there is bee balm, green cone flowers, iris, shasta daisies, veronica and more butterfly bushes.  The small yellow flowers that are behind the bird bath is Leopards Bane.  A new edition this year.

Comments

Popular Posts