It's Time to Divide the Iris

It's that time of year everyone! Whether you didn't know or you just plain forgot, it is time to divide the iris in your garden.  Why would you want to divide iris, you ask?  Well, if you have noticed that over time your iris has bloomed less and less it's probably due to one of two reasons.  One could be that it has become a bigger clump and that means it's tubers under the ground need to be divided and replanted so they aren't so close together.  The other reason could be that what was once a sunny place in your garden (iris love the sun), has now become a rather shady spot (iris don't like the shade).  August is the month to divide iris.  Why you ask?  Well, I have absolutely no idea.  I'm just following along with what I read.  Whether it's an old wives tale or there is possible some scientific reason that goes along to dividing iris this month, this is when gardeners make it happen.  I just came in from dividing up a couple of large clumps in my own garden.

Below is roof iris that used to be in full sun, but now is in complete shade due to encroaching trees.


The same problem occurred with several clumps of bearded iris.  It's been so long since they bloomed, I don't even remember what they look like.



I took a shovel and carefully dug around the iris.  You don't have to dig deep because iris are very shallow rooted plants.  They will come right out with a gentle tug after using a shovel in a circle around the outside of the clump. From there I pulled the iris tubers apart and replanted the individual tubers with the leaves attached in sunnier locations. The roof iris went in the front of this border.



The bearded iris was planted on either side of the vegetable garden gate.



I still had a little left over of the roof iris and bearded iris, so I planted it in a corner of the fence that needed a little extra something anyway.


I've been waiting all summer to do this chore.  It's been this little nag at the back of my brain for months.  I'm glad it's done.  Now, I just have sit back and wait nine months for the results.  Nobody said gardeners weren't a patient bunch!

Comments

Popular Posts