The Hummingbird Moth

A few years ago I saw this strange insect in my garden.  It had the colors of a bee and it was the size of a large bee. The flight pattern was all wrong for a bee though.  It hovered around my flowers like a hummingbird and it looked like it had a proboscis like a butterfly.   Not long after, I took the master gardener courses and we studied entomology (the study of insects).  I soon discovered my strange insect is called a hummingbird moth.  So, I was wrong, it's not a hummingbird, bee or butterfly.  It's a moth!  First sighting of the hummingbird moth was today on the 'Blue Hill' Salvia. 

Hummingbird moths enjoy feeding from the nectar of phlox, bee balm, honeysuckle and verbena and a variety of other perennials.
 If you don't have a peony you are missing out!  A full sun plant that has the most beautiful blooms for about two weeks in May.  I know, I know, two weeks is not a long bloom period.  Snap your fingers and it's over...however these blooms are worth it.  I have enough so that I can enjoy them in the garden and also cut some and bring them inside.  They are a superb cut flower and they are a real show stopper by themselves or with other cut flowers.  The foliage is a glossy dark green and it stays that way all summer long.  Invest in some peonies.  You won't regret it.

A show stopper peony!
 

 A look down the garden path...


 A rose with no name.  I planted this years ago and have no idea what it's called. 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts