The Regal Torch Lily

I eagerly anticipate the arrival of the torch lily blooms each spring.  I have one plant and because I only have one, it makes the bloom period all the more special!  The combination of the torch lily with anything purple or blue is particularly outstanding.  In this case it is paired with Siberian Iris.  Every year I say to myself, I need to buy more torch lilies because I have so many purple blooms in the garden.  I said it again this year.  We'll see if I follow through or not.

The torch lily has a short bloom period, but the flowers are so unusual that it is worth having in the garden.  A full sun, drought tolerant plant, it does very well in Southeastern Virginia.  Another nice asset of the torch lily is that it never gets devoured by the deer or other wildlife.

 A Cloudless Sulphur on the 'Homestead Purple' Verbena.

I had to look this butterfly up on the computer.  What I had thought was the Cloudless Sulphur, apparently is not, as this is the real deal!  There is another butterfly that comes into the garden later in the year that is a citron color, hmmm....now I will have to look that one up.

Never fails...as soon as the peonies start to bloom, we get torrential rain storms that push the heavy blooms down in to the dirt.  This year was no exception.


Unscathed peonies!

This area of my garden has taken a long time to fill in.  I used to get an English garden magazine and in one particular article there was a beautiful formal border with plans on how to recreate it at your own home.  That was about 7 years ago and this is the first year that I am completely satisfied with the result. 

The lines are very straight and orderly in this section which creates the more formal look.  On both sides of the checkboard path I have planted the same plants to mirror each other and also create a more formal design.  Closest to the checkerboard is Salvia 'Blue Hill' with their deep blue flowers low to the ground.  At the top of the checker board are single flower pink Knock Out Roses and dwarf boxwood.  Behind the salvia is the tallest plant -  the wispy Brazilian Verbena, along with Shasta Daisies (they will bloom midsummer).  Behind that layer are the peonies and finally on the outside of the border is a row of Catmint, followed by Creeping Phlox.


 Sedum as a groundcover is lovely when it's blooming.  It's not much to look at the rest of the year though.  Right now it's blooming, so it looks wonderful with 'Johnson's Blue' Geranium and Lady's Mantle. It is also a nice combination tucked in between the soft silver leaves of  Lamb's Ear (pictured below).


Comments

Popular Posts